Part one...Day one

Kota Kinabalu Travel Blog

I had an easy three hour flight into Kota Kinabalu.  I found my guesthouse, which was nice, grabbed some lunch and waited to get picked up for my proboscis monkey cruise.  It was about a two hour drive to where the cruise would take place and it poured the entire way there.  We walked to a deck area where they served some snacks along with tea and coffee.  By the time we were done with the snacks, the sky had cleared which was great for the cruise.  We saw lots of macaques and plenty of proboscis monkeys in the trees.  The males are the ones with the really large noses and bellies.  The bigger the better for both! We also saw water buffalo along the way.  When the cruise was over, we had a nice dinner back at the deck area.

Then we went back out on the boats to see the fireflies.  We came across one tree that looked like someone had turned on Christmas lights.  It was amazing!  After the fireflies, we headed back to the bus for the ride back to Kota Kinabalu.

I was pretty sure the lady I had been organizing things with told me that someone on the cruise would let me know if the rafting trip was going to happen.  No one said anything to me so I assumed it was still cancelled.  By the time I got back to the guesthouse I was tired and didn’t think about double checking my e-mail.

I figured the rafting trip was canceled so I got up early to catch a bus to Sepilok. (Apparently it wasn’t canceled and they came by about 20 minutes later to pick me up!)  It was a bummer to find out, but oh well.