A ride with the roof down

Castle Donnington Travel Blog

A special edition Elise
I have to be honest, I'm not a very good Travbuddy, that is, I'm not much of a traveller, and this trip is just a day trip from the West of the UK over to the East. But it's been really hectic lately, I've not had time to even write blogs the last few weeks with everything that has been going on so it's a rare privilege for me to actually be sat in the garden, on a sunny day may I add, with the laptop drinking some mint tea and watching a bumble bee make lots of noise on one of the purple tulips.

Well, yesterday my friend Mark and I decided to take my little Lotus up to Castle Donnington Race Track with the roof down and get to see a lot of Lotus Sports cars, old, new, prototypes and things to come. It wasn't just for a day out though, it was also to give the car a good run and make sure we'd tightened up every nut and bolt we should have and that nothing was about to fall off.
Inside the new Evora
Since the last time it had been on a long trip, the steering rack has been out and serviced, I've fitted new track rod ends, replaced a fuel filter and also gave it a wash to make it a little more presentable!

The trip up was pretty good. We didn't freeze with the top down, the sun stayed out, more or less and despite the massive of speed restrictions and average-speed cameras on the motorway, we had quite a good drive.

At the show we got to chat to one or two friends who had their cars on display. Got to google at an Lotus Esprit S1, that's the same white thing from James Bond The Spy Who Loved Me, and it was in immaculate condition and actually looked pretty good considering it's a car from the nineteen seventies.

I also got to check out the brand new Lotus Evora on the Lotus stand, the new car that is due for release in May.
211 track car from the rear
It's certainly stunning and larger than I thought. The quality is certainly of the high end of Lotus and I can see they are going for the Porsche territory. They had three cars in all, an early prototype that looked as if it had been around the track quite a few times and possibly around the world once or twice. They also had the crash test car. They'd tested the car head on at 50mph, and all that was damaged was the front crumple zone that absorbed the impact. Very satisfying to see Lotus are still leading in world class engineering. The final car was the finished product and I got to sit inside the drivers seat, play with the switches and get the dash to light up. I then turned to the woman who was also trying the car in the passenger seat, wiggled the gear leave and said "So, where do you wanna go?!" She turned away, opened the door and left.
The front of the Esprit S1

It was a great trip to test the Elise and get to see a few cars as well as the Evora in the flesh. We left late afternoon and pulled out of the race track car park, out of the gravel driveway and hit the winding A-Roads to head back to the motorway. I looked in my mirrors and notice a bright orange Lotus Esprit approaching, very quickly. He followed until we hit the first dual carriageway. I pulled in a lane to let him pass and before I could even think about looking to see if he would over-take, he was already shooting past with great speed and an enormous noise like a grand prix car. Intoxicating to say the least.

That's pretty much all for now. I need to spend the day booking somethings for my trip to France in the summer as well as sort out a few other things that are going on at the moment.
Me in the Evora