A little piece of Colombian paradise

Tayrona National Park Travel Blog

Tayrona National Park is absolutely stunning.

I had hoped to catch a boat from Taganga but unfortunately my cash card wouldnt work in the town so I had to catch the bus. This was easy enough as my hostel gave me directions and is much cheaper. The boat costs 40,000 COP one way and 70,000 return for the day. Whereas the bus route costs about 7,000 COP per direction.

Once you get to the park from the main entrance you have to pay a fee. It costs 31,000 COP for foreigners, much less if your Colombian. Just a word of warning you will need your passport here as they check them on entrance. Ive also heard that they may check for Yellow Fever certificates, but they didnt do this on my visit.

Once you enter the park you hike for 45 minutes to get to the first beach, or you can hire a horse. Its probably best to do this early as it gets very hot in this part of the world. I carried on walking when I got to the first beach as it was pretty quiet, so ended up doing a longer hike than I planned too. But it was still beautiful to see the park as well as the different beaches.

I spent most of the day then sunbathing and enjoying the ocean. I did hope to take the boat back but none seemed to be arriving and no one could give me a straight answer on times so I decided to hike back again. I didnt fancy hiking back in the dark so left the beach about 4pm (it gets dark about 6pm here).

I would of loved to stayed on the beach as you can rent hammocks there, but Ive got a flight booked for the next day flying Santa Marta to Bogota. I loved my stay in the Caribbean, but also looking forward to getting out of the sweltering heat!

Tayrona National Park