Whale Watching

Puerto Madryn Travel Blog

If you have the time I would 100% recommend going to visit Puerto Madryn. The town doesnt have much to offer in terms of tourists, but it has a good feel to it. Very calm and relaxing. The reason you go to visit Puerto Madryn though is to see the wildlife.

Im visiting in Winter so there aren´t any penguins now but the whales are!

As I was on a detour from Buenos Aires I didn´t have much money to go on any of the tours. I´d also heard from a few people in Bariloche that they weren´t necessary anyway. I rented a bike from my hostel at $35 AR for the day. Rode 19k out of town to the beach El Doradillo where I first could hear the whales. I then cycled a little bit further to another beach which is stepped. Here you can really get close to the whales. I sat and watched them for about 3 hours as they rubbed their skin against the shallow beach. Amazing is the perfect word for it!

I stayed in hostel HiPatagonia in Puerto Madryn. It was a really nice quiet hostel, I think mainly because this is off season so ther wasn´t as many tourists. In the summer it would be a nice hostel to hang out as they have a good outside BBQ area.

Puerto Madryn