Ski capital of Argentina...without snow!

Bariloche Travel Blog

San Carlos de Bariloche is well known as one of the top ski resorts in Argentina. Unfortunitely when we got there the snow hadnt arrived yet! However even without the snow it is still a really beautiful town to visit.

I stayed in hostel Pudu while in Bariloche. They had a fantastic deal on while I was there offering dorm rooms out at $25 AR a night. The hostel is run by a English-Irish couple and a Argentine. The atmosphere is really nice and relaxed. They even have a bar down stairs with beer on tap from a local micro brewery.

The town has a very European ski resort feel with hundreds of chocolate shops, some the size of supermarkets! The first day I was there I went to a look out point called Cerro Otto. Its 5km out of town and its easy to get a local bus there. When you arrive to the point on the road you can either take the relaxing cable car up for about $20 AR or hike up a steep hill for 30 mins. I took the hike as I needed to exercise after being on a bus for 29hrs the days previous. Its a tough little climb but worth it when you get the summit.

At the top of the lookout is a little cafe which serves a variety of foods including cakes. They definitely contain more calories that its burnt off on the hike up and down the hill! Delicious though.

There were a few of us staying in Bariloche that had also been in El Calafate so one day we decided to rent a car (Cornentose Rent a Car). At $200 AR for the day, this was a bargain split 5 ways. We decided to drive the 7 lakes route. Its worth checking that is open before heading off as some of the roads are really poor so get closed during bad weather. The route takes you right up to the beautiful towns of San Martin de Los Andes. Be prepared to take the whole day as the drive will take about 9 hrs and you´ll want to stop off and take photos along the way.

I visited one restuarant while in Bariloche called Tarquino Restuarant. The food was really good and the decoration in the restuarant was something out of Lord of the Rings. There are life trees growing in the middle of the restuarant!

The plan next was to head straight to Buenos Aires but while staying in Bariloche Ive been told all about the Whales in Puerto Madryn. So plans have changed and I have to go see for myself.

Bariloche