Shopping in market town

Otavalo Travel Blog

Crossing the border from Colombia to Ecuador was much easier than my journey 3 weeks ago. I got the first collectivo from Pasto to Ipiales which is 6,000 COP and only took an hour and a half. Then took a taxi to the frontier, they charged my 7,000 COP. The customs on both the Colombia and Ecuador side were empty so it only took me 5 minutes to get the correct stamps. I think it really helped being there early. From the Ecuador frontier I took another cab to Tulcán for $3.50. As soon as I arrived there was a bus leaving for Quito so I jumped straight on! Much smoother than my whole journey yesterday.

I decided that rather than go all the way to Quito today I would stay a night in Otavalo and check out the artisan market. The bus therefore only cost me $3 for this journey. Keep an eye out for when you need to get off or ask as they won´t necessarily tell you!

I stayed in the Hostal Rincón Viajera, which is very close to the market. They have no dorm rooms so its only private singles here, at a costs of $10 a night which shared bathroom. This does include breakfast as well which is pretty decent, either eggs or fruit.

The market in the town is very good for touristy gifts and alpaca type clothing. The prices they initially quote are very high so be willing to negotiate them down. The market is supposed to be great on a Saturday but this didn´t fit in with my schedule. Any other day there are still stalls so worth a stop off visit if you can´t make the weekend.

photo by: Ils1976