San Agustin Ruins and Relax

San Agustin Travel Blog

San Agustin is my last stop in Colombia. Ill be very sad to leave this country as I found it truely lives up to its advertising slogan...´Your at risk when you come to Colombia... at risk at wanting to stay!´

I found the country to be warm, welcoming (everyone says Welcome to Colombia when you meet them), exciting, colourful and safe. I didn´t feel at risk at any time, which I think its due down to the heavy police presence. Colombia is doing everything is can to change the drug and kidnapping picture of the past and move on. I hope they succeed further as there is much more opportunity for tourism here.

San Agustin was a great place for a finally stop as it was beautiful and very relaxing.

I stayed in the hostel La Casa de Francois. Francois has created a lovely hostel that is very basic but briming with charature. There are two dorm rooms one that is round and elevated and the other is a larger room with an indoor bathroom. The dorms only cost 15,000 COP a night so are very good value. They do a mean breakfast there for 6,000 COP which includes eggs, fresh juice, homemade bread and fruit.

I only stayed in San Agustin for one day so I only had time to visit the Parque Arqueológico. The park is a UNESCO world heritage site and is the main site for going to visit the San Agustin ruins. The site was very interesting to look at but I think it would be worth hiring a guide here. I decided not to as I was the only one visiting the site that day from my hostel. If you struggle with complex spanish (like me!) then you will find it difficult to get any factual information out of the park as there are no English signs.

As I wanted to rest during my visit to San Agustin I didn´t see another of the sites, but Im told they interesting to look at as well. You can do the tour either by jeep, horse or walking. When you arrive in San Agustin you´ll get bombared with people asking you to sign up for a tour then and there, but take your time to think about it as they offer much higher prices to you then.

If you want to stay at La Casa De Francois, its possible to get there without taking a taxi. You will just need to walk up a steep slope with your bag. Just ask any local and they will be able to direct you.
San Agustin