Relax and Ruins

Encarnacion Travel Blog

Encarnation was really different to Cuidad del Este. Calm, relaxing and warming, even though I was just about the only tourist there.

I stayed in a hotel called Acuario ( which had its own olympic sized swimming pool. As I was the only guest in the place it was great as I had the whole thing to myself!

I spent most of my time in Encarnation romming around looking at the town. They have a market near the bus station which was interesting, they sell mainly clothes and household goods there.

I decided to go and visit some of the Jesuit missions. There is a real lack of tourist information in the whole of Paraguay so you have to follow your guide book recommendations careful. I went to visit the ruins of Trinadad. It was easy enough to get there as I went on a local bus pretty much the same direction that I came into Encarnation. I had to ask the conductor though when to get off the bus as there are very few signs.

There are very few signs when you actually get to the ruins themselves but once you see them you know you´ve arrived at the right place. I found them very interesting as they are really untouched from commercialism. It is probably one of the purest tourist desinations I´ve been to on this whole trip!

I found Paraguay to be a very warming place with people stopping and talking to you if they have any English. The best thing though was the cost. Everything is much cheaper here, especially compared to its neighbours Brazil and Argentina.

photo by: Riz7