Puerto Natales Stay

Puerto Natales Travel Blog

I stayed in Puerto Natales for 4 days which is a lot more than most travellers spend there. The reason why not is there isn’t an awful lot to do there as it’s a very small town. However I stayed in a very sociable hostel which helped pass the time well.

I stayed in the Erratic Rock Hostel (Baquedano 719 www.erraticrock.com). The hostel is run by two American guys who really know the area. They give a free talk every day at 3pm to anyone staying in the town on the Torres del Paine national park. The information they give is really useful for tips on how to make your hiking experience as comfortable as possible.

The hostel has a lot of beds but I imagine it’s probably best to book really early if you’re going in high season. The cost per night is $8.000 CLP so good value seeing as you get a great omelette breakfast as well.

While I was in the town I ate out at two restaurants, both on the square Plaza de Armas (this is the main square in the town). The first was a nice little pizza place and the second a lamb grill restaurant.

The pizza place is called Mesita Grande (www.mesitagrande.cl), it does really nice chilean style pizzas and has a nice cosy atmosphere which is perfect when stepping in from the cold. The other place was Parilla Don Jorge, and they specialise in lamb cooked on an open grill. They give you a very generous amount of lamb which was beautiful cooked. This place again has a very cosy atmosphere.

I went to one pub/bar while I stayed in Puerto Natales called Ruperto´s (on main street Bulnes). The place is probably the closest you’ll get to a pub in Puerto Natales. It had a very laid back feel with no pretension. Nice place for a chilled out beer or two.

A really nice trip to do if you have any time in Puerto Natales is to go to Mirador Sierra Dorotea. If you’ve rented bikes you can cycle there in about 45 mins, but we took a taxi for $3.500 CLP which only takes 10 minutes. When you arrive you get greeted by the female owner, she’ll then take payment for you for walking on her land. This costs only $5.000 CLP and includes a lunch on your return.

The walk takes about an hour up hill through the trees and finally reaching the Mirador which looks out on Puerto Natales and surrounding area. On a clear day it’s a really beautiful view. Another 45 minutes down hill will take you back to the blue roofed houses. The owner will have made you lunch by this point so you get to rest after the short hike. The eggs she made for us were the best I’ve tasted in South America by miles.

I did some laundry while in Puerto Natales. After trekking round the whole town I found out that self service doesn’t exist here, you can only wash clothes at complete service launderettes. They charge by the KG of clothes, so if you need to do washing I would recommend only washing what’s necessary. I went to one across the road from the Erratic Rock, but they all charge the same at $1.000 CLP per KG. This kind of service is great in that you just leave it with them and when you pick up its clean, dry and folded.

Next stop is Torres del Paine for my volunteer work!

Puerto Natales