Pantanal Adventure

Campo Grande Travel Blog

The Pantanal wasnt on my agenda when I first set out to Iguacu falls a week ago but somehow I found myself here with the promise of seeing an abundance of wildlife. I wasnt disappointed.

I took an overnight bus from Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil straight to Campo Grande. Here I only had to cross the road at the bus station to reach the hostel which runs the tours into the Pantanal. I went with a company called Ecological Expeditions http://www.pantanaltrekking.com/. I did lots of research on them before I left and I was left confused at whether it was going to be a reputable company or not. However it was the cheapest option so I went ahead with it.

The Ecological Expeditions cost me 400 Reais for a 4 day, 3 night tour there. This included stay in a lodge with swimming pool, all activities and food. Only thing that was extra was drinks (apart from water). During the 4 days we did activities such as a horse ride, night walks, jeep safari tours, fishing for piranhas and walking through the jungle.

In my experience there I had a fantastic time, I really enjoyed seeing all the wildlife. Maybe as my expectations were so low I didnt expect a 5 star resort, so I was pleasantly surprised at how relaxing it was. It is possible to also camp with Ecological Expeditions for slightly less money. I spoke to a lot of the other travellers who stayed on the camp and they seemed more dissapointed with there trip. The food wasnt as varied over there, the staff a little less helpful and your outside all the time.

The only real problem I found with the experience there was the amount of mosquitos, they are everywhere. If anyone heads to the pantanal the number one accessory you need to take it insect repellent!

If you go with the expectation of only seeing wildlife while your there in the Pantanal you will definitely find it there!

Campo Grande