Overnight stay on way to Ecuador

Pasto Travel Blog

The journey to Pasto was long and very tiring. There was a couple I met in San Agustin travelling the same way so we took the journey together.

From San Agustin we took a collectivo to the town of Pitalito which only took about 30 minutes and cost 4,000 COP. At Pitalito we hoped to get a straight bus to Pasto but were told its quicker to go straight to Mocoa and see if we can get an earlier bus there. We took a small van for this journey which cost us 15,000 COP each for a 3 hour journey. This part was not so bad as the van was comfortable at least.

Once we arrived in Mocoa we had to wait for a further 2 hours before we could get on a bus or in a collectivo four by four. We decided to go by bus as we thought it might be more comfortable on the bumpy roads that run between here and Pasto... I think we made the wrong choice! The bus that arrived was so ancient and the roads are shocking! It first of all didn´t get going for a hour, it was supposed to leave a 1.30pm and ended up being 2.30pm! We were also promised that the bus would only take 6 hours to get there... they lied to us about this as it took about 9 hours. Although an hour of this hold up was due to police checks.

The only good thing about the whole trip was that it only cost 20,000 COP. Also the view were spectacular, but also hair raising as we raced around a small rocky path by sheer cliffs!

I was so happy to finally arrive in Pasto even though I didn´t get a good vibe off the city. If you have the choice I wouldn´t recommend staying here, but it was way to late for us to go any further now seeing as there´s a few safety issues towards the border.

We looked at maybe 5 hotels near the bus station before we finally settled on one. I wasn´t completely happy with it but I really needed to get some shut eye. The hotel was called Melo Sur and only costs 15,000 COP for a single person in a double and 18,000 for a two in the double room. We weren´t planning on being there long anyway as we hope to get up early to cross the border back to Ecuador!
photo by: AndySD