More wine country

Mendoza Travel Blog

I really loved my stay in Mendoza. I spent day one just wondering round the town and the park General San Martin. The town itself it so much richer than alot of Argentina, houses near the park are huge. It doesn't have an awful lot in sites in the town but the place has a good feel to it. There's no real centre so you do miss that immediate bus that can be found in other towns.

One day two I went out to tackle the bodegas. A huge number of them are based in a town called Maipu. You can either go there by an organised tour or go solo. As Im not a huge fan of organised tours I decided to go the solo route. I asked my hostel about buses and theres one right outside the hostel that goes there so I took that. The bus takes you through the whole of the Maipu town, which is surprising quite large, but you need to stay on till you reach the bodegas.

We asked the bus driver to tell us when we arrived to make it easier. You arrive to a pretty small area with one main road, where there are several bike rental companies. I rented my bike with Mr Hugo's who is a legendary! The bikes he has are bright red with baskets on the front for girls, perfect for the wine your about to buy! He gives you a map of the area and a bottle of water for your journey.

I had a really good day doing this, I was with someone from my hostel as well, so we managed to hit 5 bodegas, one olive oil factory and a chocolate factory! It was great fun trying all the wines. Beware that you need to pay for tastings, costing upto $25 AR depending on the bodega. The bike rental costs $25 AR for the day so pretty good value.

There's lots of places you can go and have lunch if you want. They are expensive though as they are offering you 5 + courses of food and wine. I decided to take my sandwiches along for the day so that I could spend more money on actually tasting the different wines.

The hostel I stayed in Mendoza was fantastic, called Hostel Lao (www.laohostel.com). On the first night I was there they put on an BBQ which was delicious for $35 AR, this included endless bottles of wine. As you can imagine everyone was very jolly that night. The dorm rooms are not huge but the whole place has a good vibe (dorms are $45 AR a night). They have a great huge outdoor area which would be great on a really hot summers day to hang out in.

Mendoza