Medellin!

Medellin Travel Blog

We decided to arrive to Medellin a night earlier than planned as there wasn´t anywhere between Salento and here that we planned to stay.

On the first night we stayed in Hostel Palm Tree, which is a bit out of the hostel area but was nice to get some peace and quiet. The hostel is good value for Medellin as it only cost 17,000 COP per night in a dorm room. They also give you eggs and bread for breakfast which seems rare in a lot of Colombian hostels.

The next day we moved to our reserved hostels, I split up from my good here and went to stay in the Hostel Black Sheep and the others went to stay in the party hostel Pit Stop. Im glad I decided to choose the Black Sheep hostel as the staff there were really lovely, there was a really good vibe about the place and the prices were lower than in the Pit Stop. Some of the staff in the Pit Stop were really rude and unhelpful, but they do have a pretty amazing layout. They have a pool, bar, basketball court etc etc. So I think its best to stay somewhere else where you actually can get help and then just go over to the Pit Stop every now and again to hang out.

We did one day of blasting the sight seeing in Medellin, we went to visit Pablo Escobar´s grave (which for me was dull and uninteresting), went to the Museo de Antioquia (which was great and has some beautiful art work), went on the cable cars to get a lookout point over the city (this is really worth doing as its so cheap, but wait for a sunny day).

Once all the sight was done we spent the most of the rest of the time enjoying the Colombian music and drinks! One place we went to that I definitely wouldnt recommend is the dance club the Forum. It costs us 50,000 COP to get, which was upsetting enough, but then also charged 10,000 COP for a beer. The Colombians in the bar where very pretentious as well, lots of plastic surgery and no one even batted an eye lid to look at us gringos!

Medellin