First Stop in Uruguay

Colonia del Sacramento Travel Blog

I took the slow ferry over to Colonia which takes 3 hours to save a bit of cash. It costs just under $100 AR for a single journey there with the company Buquebus. They offer a really well organised service over to Uruguay.

I was blown away by how beautiful Colonia was. Its incredibly small in comparison to the big city of Buenos Aires where Ive just left. However I got a really good feel about this place.

I stayed in a hotel only 3 blocks from the port for ease, it was called Colonial Hostel. It was a very simple hostel but staff were friendly and they let you borrow bikes for nothing. I was happy as I paid for a dorm room sharing with 4 but no one else joined me. It is cold though as they dont have any central heating there.

I spent my time in Colonia walking around the old town as this was the most interesting part for me. There are lots of beautiful little streets with bars, restuarants and cafes. So nice and relaxing after the hectic Buenos Aires.

I ate out in one restuarant while I was there called Mercasur near my hostel. It was good food, nothing fancy and inexpensive so great for filling meal.

You can do Colonia in a day trip from Buenos Aires and I would definitely recommend it if you have the time.