End of the world

Ushuaia Travel Blog

I stayed in Ushuaia for four days which is more than enough time there to see the main highlights. The four most recommended activities are..

1. Taking a boat ride on the Beagle Channel

2. Visiting the Terra Del Fuego national park

3. Seeing the glacier above the town

4. Scuba diving in the Beagle Channel

Out of these 4 I did everything but the scuba diving as it was out of my price range.

The boat trip was my favourite activity as we got to see a large group of sea lions and seals resting on rocks and playing in the water around the boat. It last for about 3.5 hours so you can easily go on the boat in the morning and then do something else in the afternoon. I was there in the winter but I can imagine it being spectacular in the summer with all the penguins there.

My trip on the boat costs $135 AR as it was the low season, and all the companies were charging the same. The main decision you have to make when your there is whether to take a small boat or a large one. I took the smaller one in the end as I prefer not to have so many people on the same tour.

The national park is beautiful, but after spending so much time in Torres Del Paine I was slightly disappointed with the walks there. The park is great for families as each walk will only take about 2-3 hrs. Easily done in an afternoon after going on the boat ride. I found my self killing time in the cafe there as I had a set bus time picking me up.

To get to the park you can either rent a car, take a taxi or go in one of the local buses from town. I went on a local bus which cost $50 AR for a round trip. You also have to pay an entrance fee of $50 AR for the national park, less if your from Argentina though.

As I had a fair bit of time in Ushuaia I descided to walk to the glacier from town. Its a fairly easy walk if you go up the winding road there, but isnt particularly exciting. When I got to the base of the ski run I couldnt walk any further as the path was completely iced up. I could see the glacier but couldnt get close. If you´ve got limited time take a taxi up there, I believe you can ask them to wait for you as well to get a round trip.

While I was in Ushuaia I also went to visit the Prison Museum, this was really interesting. They tell you about the convicts that were sent to the prison, how they lived. The museum also have a maritime section so it gives you information on the vessels that first came to Ushuaia and the effect that the Europeans had on the native population living in Ushuaia at that time.

I stayed in a hostel called Freestyle in Ushuaia. While it was clean and had the look of a hotel, I didnt really enjoy the environment. The staff are very friendly but this also means that they have a lot of friends come visit. Music is played constantly and loud, not turning off till 3am everynight. It was also expensive at $50 AR a night so it wouldnt be one I recommend. Unless you only want to party in Ushuaia!

Ushuaia