Ecuador Capital!

Quito Travel Blog

I took a flight from Santiago up to Ecuador as I plan to see Peru in November and didnt fancy taking such a long bus route! My first impression of Ecuador was that the sun was a lot stronger than I expected. I really should have thought more about sun protection being close to the equator!

I stayed two full days in Quito; one to visit the Mitad del Mundo. I had to check out the actual equator line. The other I used for wondering round the old town and checking out the Museo del Banco Central, which is based in the La Casa de La Cultura.

To get to the Mitad del Mundo I took a bus out there, and went to visit Museo Solar Unti Nan (the only museum on the actual site of the equator). The musuem was very interesting as they perform experiements to show the force of gravity there.

There are two museums there, the other being the Mitadel Museo. This is where they built the equator momument, its not a particular great museum but theres some lovely stalls inside.

I really liked staying in Quito however their was a lack of tourists while I was there. I stayed in the hostel Crossroads which is absolutely huge but was empty! I ended up having my own dorm room there.

I went to a couple of nice restuarants in the new town near my hostel. The Magic Bean and Uncle Ho´s were the best two I tried. However the prices in new town might come of a bit of a shock as they are more expensive than the rest of South America.

I have return flights from Quito to Santiago so Ive decided to move into Colombia first and then see a bit more of Ecuador nearer to my flight dates.

Quito