Ecuador Beach

Montañita Travel Blog

The journey along the coast from Manta to Montanita is stunning. The bus takes about 3 hours and drives past alot of beautiful fishing towns.

Montanita is definitely a brash tourism centre, full of gringos and the occasional Ecuadorian on weekend break. I found the whole place a little overwhelming as everything feels a bit fake. The stores, restuarants and bars are all very high priced as well.

The only time you can get a good deal on anything there is during happy hour, where all the bars are competing to get you to buy there cocktails.

I couldn´t find anywhere that had dorm rooms so ended up sharing a twin with the girl I was travelling with. We stayed at Hostel Montezuma which charged us $6 a night including breakfast. The other hostels ´hotels´were looking at nearer the $8 a night mark.

I did plan on staying longer here, but didn´t fancy holding out for the Saturday night party that was happening on the beach. It was going to be all techo music which is really not my scene. Also the sun wasn´t out, so thought it probably best to move on and see somewhere else in Ecuador.

geerbox says:
You should have went a little north to Puerto Lopez, it's much more quiet but the vibe there is great (for me at least).
Posted on: Oct 09, 2009