Colombia Capital

Bogota Travel Blog

Bogota was not at all as I expected, I initially thought the town would be grubby and a dirty capital. I was completely wrong though and visually found it to be a beautiful city.

I arrived from Santa Marta by flight as it only cost me 50 pounds with Aires, the bus by its self is 30, so I felt this trip was worth the extra expenditure. Once you arrive you can take a bus to the Candelaria area but it might be worth it to get a taxi if in a group. If you do decide to get a taxi buy a fixed price ticket at the office before hand which is right next to the baggage hall exit.

I stayed in a new hostel there that got recommended to me Hostel Destino Nomada (or DN for short I stayed in a 6 bed dorm with bathroom at 20,000 COP per night. The hostel was very nice, clean and had comfortable beds. The staff are very friendly as well trying to help in anyway possible. However as its so new it lacks a vibe at the moment, I went to visit two of the other popular hostels in the guide book there. Fatima and Cranky Croc, both of these had more of a buzz to them. But this could be down to people not hearing of the DN hostel yet. Another negative is that they charge for a full night if you oversleep check out, so make sure you tell them if you want to check out late in advance!

There are tonnes of museums in Bogota so I only choose a few that I was really interested in seeing;
- Casa de la Moneda/Donación Botero - Lovely intereting musuems that are free to the public. The Botero museum also includes works by Picasso, Monet, Renoir and Dali.
- Museum Historica Policia - Half of this museum is really interesting as its about the capture of Pablo Escobar. Its very amusing to see the life like models of Pablo complete with hairy arms. They have some possessions of his life, including a Harley Davidson he gave to his cousin. The other half is just about the police uniforms etc so doesn´t have the same excitment. The guides are very good here, as they are young men on their military service. If you are the only English speaking tourist you´ll get the guide by yourself! This museum is also free, but the guides ask for tips at the end.
- Museo del Oro - This musuem seems to be very popular with local tourists and you can understand why. Its very well put together with information in both Spanish and English throughout. The gold with the museum must be worth a fortune as its all over the place. This was the only museum I paid for and I think it was just 4,000 COP for ex-locals.

I went to one club when I was in Bogota that is worth a mention, called Penthouse. Its based in the zona rosa so worth getting a taxi there from Candelaria (this is where the majority of hostels and museums are based). It costs us 20,000 COP to get, I have no idea whether we paid more as we were gringos though. Inside the drinks are relatively pricey for south american standards so its better to group together and just by bottles. It was really nice inside and played a good combination of English speaking music and Spanish which was refreshing.

Bogota is also very good for shopping, as there are many scattered around the city. Its good if your looking for a change from the typical Colombian sytle as there´s many international brands located there including Zara and Mango.
photo by: caliphil007