Coffee Region

Salento Travel Blog

The coffee region wasn't on my agenda but I changed my plans after I found some people to travel with in Cali. Im very glad that I decided to go as the whole region is beautiful.

We went to a small town called Salento in the heart of the region. They have organized the town really nicely so that there is one street leading off the square with beautiful colours painted on all the buildings. Here you find most of the restaurants and gift shops selling anything and everything coffee related. There are also some very cool pool halls here which are full of locals and a great way to spend an evening in.

We hoped to get into a hostel called Plantation House Hostel but unfortunately they were full. So instead we stayed at a new hostel-hotel that gave us a good rate on a 4 bed room, it was 70,000 COP total for a night. This included a really nice breakfast of fruit, pastries and local Colombian coffee. The place is called Hostal Cuidad De Segorbe (intursalentoltda@hotmail.com, Calle 5 No 4-06, 7593794) and is not mentioned in guide books at the moment so worth emailing before to get instructions on how to get there. Although its pretty simple as Salento is a very small place.

We took one tour with the Plantation House as the owner has bought his own coffee plantation now. He speaks English so its interesting to get a detailed information about the process coffee goes through and what sort of beans are best for good coffee.

We also took a day trip to the Valle de Corcora, which was arranged through our hostel. We decided to go through the valley on horses, so hired those and also a guide to show us the way. Im not sure how it would of been possible without a guide! The landscapes were amazing, but unfortunately it did rain for half of our trip out there. The whole loop takes about 5 to 6 hours so its worth going prepared with food, water and waterproofs if planning on going. The whole trip with the horses cost us about 50,000 COP each, when 4 people share a guide.

Lasttraveller says: