Cartagena Travel Blog

Ive now broken up from my traveling group as they wanted to spend a few more days hanging out in Medellin and I wanted to get moving.

I took a bus all the way from Medellin to Cartagena, which was 13 hours long. As there was only two of us on the bus heading to Cartagena about 10 hours in they transferred us into a taxi to complete the journey!

The first thing that hit me as soon as I got out of the taxi was the heat and this was at 9pm at night. I quickly jumped into another taxi to take me into the center to find a hostel. I tried to get into the Casa Viena Hostel but they were fully occupied that night so I went round the road to another hostel which was ok but nothing special. At 15,000 COP a night for a dorm bed I didnt care I just wanted to sleep.

The next day I managed to move other to the Casa Viena Hostel first thing so I check in there. Always check that your hostel has air conditioning as this is a must for getting some sleep at night. Again Casa Viena Hostel is only 15,000 COP per night for dorm so very reasonable.

I only have one day in Cartagena to do the sight seeing so I decided to be economical with my time and book a city tour with the hostel. It costs 35,000 COP for the whole afternoon, pickup is at 1.45am and all entrants to the museums-places visited. I found it to be really informative and a really useful way to see everything in a short amount of time. I was the only English speaker on my tour of around 30 so I got personalised narration for the whole afternoon!

I would of liked to have more time in Cartagena to explore the volcano that is situated near the town, but I also want to see more of the Caribbean coast before I fly on Thursday. Ahhh the tough decisions for the traveller!

photo by: vulindlela