Blissful Baños

Banos Travel Blog

I really enjoyed my stay in Baños. its just as commercialised as Moñtanita but somehow still has a bit of a vibe to the place.

I didnt really do an awful lot there, just spent time hanging out with some people in the hostel and visiting the local hot springs. We tried both of the hot springs that are near to the center. La Piscina de La Virgen baths we visited in the evening and were packed. They increase the prices at night to $2 (its $1.60 in the day). The other baths are the Piscina El Salado ones which are situated 2km out of town. Less packed (although we did go in the day) and very few gringos. They cost $1.60 and arent open in the evenings.

I stayed in the Plantas Y Blancos hostel for $5.50 a night in a 6 bed dorm. The hostel had a good vibe to it and some nice people staying at the same to me. They serve amazing huge pancake breakfasts for about $3 or $4.

It is possible to do lots of other activities in the town such as mountain biking, quads, rafting etc etc... but as this is near the end of my Colombia-Ecuador adventure I was happy to just chill. The town has a surprisingly active night life. With 3 or 4 bars pumping out salsa and western music to 4am! There is also a kareoke bar in town if your vocal cords are feeling up to it!

photo by: timbo