First stop - Vina del Mar and Valparaiso

Vina del Mar Travel Blog

I have decided to write a travel blog of my travels around South America. I have never written a blog before so not sure exactly how it will go.  Ill will try my best and keep it up on my way round, although when I’ve written diaries before I’ve never got very far with them.

I decided to write a blog mainly in hope that it helps other female solo travellers. Hopefully sharing my experiences in different countries and situations will alleviate any concerns others might feel. As I’m sure you and your family/friends will have many!

My trip is going to be slightly different from other travellers as I am doing several trips across a 9 month period, including volunteer work. Ill see how I get on with the first trips and then Ill take it from there.

My first destination in South America is Chile, where I am currently.

I arrived in Vina del Mar a week ago, after flying into Santiago. My family have a home here so I am using this as my base between my trips.

I have been taking Spanish lessons in Vina, so that I know the basics. Before these lessons I knew virtually no Spanish. I guess I will struggle for a while but at least I can now read some signs.

If anyone is interested in taking Spanish lessons here I did it through the following institution – They charge about $280 for a week’s worth of classes ($60 is a registration fee). I have been lucky as I was the only one in the class for beginners so I have been having solo sessions.

I haven’t done much sightseeing in Vina as I have been preparing for my first trip here. I did however visit Valparaiso yesterday and today. It is only 5 minutes away by car from Vina so a good place to visit, without travelling far.

Valparaiso is a very beautiful port town. I will like to spend more time here when I return to Vina later on. Ill upload some photos of Vina and Valpraiso so you can see the two towns.

I am just sorting out the next stages of my trip as I need to travel down to Puerto Natales or Puerto Arenas. Ill update with details on how the journey went.

montecarlostar says:
Congrats on your feature! I loved Viña and Valparaíso!
Koralifix says:
Congrats on being featured today! Really nice job!
Stigen says:
Seems your first blogging went very well ! congrats !
Posted on: Aug 16, 2009
Looks beautiful but water does sti…
Looks beautiful but water does st…
Beautiful sunsets