Evacuation from Hurricane Rita

Houston Travel Blog

When hurricane Rita was going to hit Texas in Sep2005, we were told to evacuate Houston. I called so many hotels but none of them were available during that period. We decided just to drive out of Houston. It was a nightmare because everyone was trying to get out; we took 14hours to reach Centerville which usually only 2 hours drive. The car hardly moved, under the summer heat, we were dying for some cool water. A truck in front of us was the kindest people I’ve ever seen. They were giving out sandwiches. We traded 2 room temperature bottles of water with 2 cold bottles waters with him.  There were no bathrooms along the freeway. That was the first time I learn how to pee in a car! We were exhausted when we finally decided to stop at the Days Inn at Centerville; we even prepared to sleep in a car.  We went in to Days Inn just to go to the toilet but it was a long line. While waiting, I was trying to see if we have any luck of getting a room although we knew the chances is almost zero. The reception told me it was fully booked ( I knew it) Just when I was walking away, he called me back and told me to wait up , there might  be a room for me. I wanted to kiss him when he told me there is a room for me now! I don’t even care how much it was, I just needed a bed to rest. To my surprise, he charge me the normal Days Inn Rate (I think it was $45) I couldn’t believe it. If this happen in Asia, the price would have been at least 3 times higher!

The Room is clean, with microwave and refrigerator. Clean bathroom too. We had a good night sleep. We woke up the next morning and saw there were many cars parked outside Days Inn and these people were sleeping in the car. I am so thankful that I got a room at times like that.

We stayed 2 nights while waiting for the hurricane to die down. We had good time shopping at Woody’s - a tiny little grocery store. We had warm meals at the restaurant nearby (walking distance). This is one of the unforgettable and fun travel experiences.

Vanessa_Mun_Yee says:
Thanks for the comment. I think is the way people look at the challenge of their life. You may learn new things that may benefit you in your future life. In this case, I learn how to pee in a car ;) I also found out that there are a lot of kind hearted people in America.
Posted on: May 26, 2009
huibdos says:
If disaster happens, and there is no plan, gouvernment is urged to make a plan. Then if half a disaster happens, nobody dares to use common sense to dump that plan, and they will go all the way to fullscale evacuation: Look mommy, I am a good gov.

You just wait, you will get those plans too, and people in charge that do not dare to counterspeak them. And people are like sheep: one goes, all go.

BTW, plans are there to make life better, that is the confusing factor.
Posted on: May 26, 2009