On the way now... no, now... no wait.. now

Windhoek Travel Blog

We were supposed to be leaving Chameleon Backpackers at 9am and getting picked up to be taken out to Harnas Wildlife Foundation situated just past Gobabis. There were 7 of us leaving on this day and we were still waiting at 10:20, so we decided to make a phone call to see where our driver was. "I'll be there in half an hour" was the reply. At 12 when he still hadnt arrived we were getting quite annoyed as all we wanted to do was get to our location for it was the only reason that we were here in Namibia!! We rang him again and he told us he was just around the corner. Ok kool, no worries we thought - we got all of our stuff ready to load into a car. Ten minutes later... the rest of the group were fed up with waiting any longer and went for a walk to get some lunch. I stayed behind just in case he came... which he did. At 12:30pm. We then had to wait for the others to get back and didnt end up leaving til nearly 1pm. But thats cool... cuz we were on the way, right?

Or so I thought, buut obviously not. We had several more stops before we even got out of Windhoek:
1. To pick up one of the bushmen that work at the farm who spent the night in Windhoek for a change and to get a newsletter/ introduction notice to Harnas letter.
2. A stop at Van De Merwe ave at some house place to pick up or drop off something??
3. The petrol station
4. Marietta's daughter's guesthouse in Windhoek, to neither pick up nor drop anything off ... just to do nothing?!

Then we were on the way! But there were still a couple more stops before we arrived at our final destination:
5. To "go to the toilet quickly" - (not my quotes!!!)
and
6. Our scheduled stop in Gobabis - which no one really wanted to take anymore. On leaving the bus we were told it was a 10 minute 'break' which turned into ONE HOUR. It sorta takes a bit to get me irritated, but OH MY GAWD!! Grrrr!!

Anyway, Hendrick our driver came back eventually and we finally... FINALLY got to Harnas Wildlife founation to be met by Tammy - one of the long term volunteers and Petrus - one of the Bushmen who worked our bar. We got in about 4:45 so missed out on lunch and the afternoon activities/introduction. It turns out nearly everyone went out to farmwork that morning and didnt get back until 5:30 anyway. We were told that dinner tonight was at the Lapa at 7pm. The Lapa is the eating area up at the farm where the family live and where the guests are looked after. We were allowed to eat there on 'special occassions', not sure what tonight's was? Frikkie - the volunteer program organiser was leaving on Sunday for a week to visit his mum and family in Gobabis and Windhoek so maybe thats the reason? It was pretty cool to think that the group leaders of each group are volunteers, just like me, although next time - I'll stay for 3 months and work up to being a group leader myself. We went to the cabins beforehand to unpack our stuff and met our room-mates. Well TECHNICALLY, Pippa and I met our English room-mate's friend, Emma, first! Then, Alex, from London (Croyden apparently), and Jamie, from America who isnt doin the volunteer program that everyone else is - but is helping out with the book work in the office.

Windhoek