The departure

Jakarta Travel Blog

The whole village accompanied us to the airport. :)
After, you know...several days maybe weeks of preparation, finally we were ready to start the trip. We departed from Jakarta International Airport, Cengkareng (CGK) on Friday, 21st March, 2008. We would go to Beijing (PEK) with Cathay Pasific CX718 at 09.15 am. This time, I brought my parents and also my parent in law. If you pay any attention, you will see that sometimes I travel in a big group. Usually with my parents and/or my parent in law. Yes, the consideration behind that is they have never been going abroad before so I think it is better to take them with us. This is a kind of pay-back. I mean, they have raised us into what we are now so we would like to give-back as our gratitude to them, in the form of travelling; one thing in the world that we love to do so much!

When we left our homes, there are 3 separated groups of us: my family (Edy, Ari, Rara, and Raka), my parents and my mother in laws' family.
You know this procedure :)
My family left our house in Gading Serpong, Tangerang by taxi; my parents left their house in Kebon Jeruk, Jakarta by their own car (my brother drove); and my mother in laws left her home in Bekasi by my brother in law's car (driven by my brother in law). We met at the airport at around 7 in the morning.

It takes a while to check-in with so many bagagges, pay fiscal tax and process application for non fiscal tax for the children (only Indonesia among the ENTIRE world that has this silly tax. The tax is only for its citizen, costs around US100 per person and not applied to children), and go through immigration procedures for the group (7 people) altogether.

I could not let my parents and my parents in law to fulfill their immigration cards by themselves coz it would take longer time to teach them how to fill in each field rather than if I did those for them all.
Queueing at the immigration desk.
It's because they know only a bit English and my mother in law even don't know anything about English :) Also, I have to do the writing process for the entire of my family (my baby, daughter, me, and husband).

Rara, my 8 year old daughter is so excited to take care of herself. She likes to be in the queue, very concern to warn each of us not to pass the yellow line unless the person in front finished with the immigration procedure. Even she dragged her own baggage before gave it away to the check-in counter.

Soekarno-Hatta International Airport really-really-badly needs renovation. It's so jadul! (=old fashion) compare to Suvarnabhumi in Bangkok. This is a very objective point of view because I compare it apple to apple (Indonesia and Thailand is more or less has the same characteristic of economics).
Our boarding passes.

My little one, Raka, at that time he was still 15 months, has to sit on the baby strolley since he likes to go into any direction he likes. Of course, that would slow-down us to go to the boarding gate.

When we were boarding, we were always luckier than any other passengers. The benefit of having a baby with you is that the stewardess asked you to go first and take the business class alley eventhough you bought economy ticket. It feels like riding an ambulance, with the sirine screaming: nguing-nguing-nguing......watch out! The baby comes! Please step aside! :)

Our plane was an Airbus 320 with configuration of 3-3 passengers and a single aisle. I am not a fan of aviation but at least I give a little attention to the shape and the interior of each plane I take.
Leaving Jakarta soon.

Rara met her classmate Brian who would go to Hongkong and Zhenzhen with his family. We will go with the same airplane but he will stop in Hongkong for his holiday while we will go on to the next destination: Beijing.

When the meals were served during the flight, the stewardess mistakenly gave me and my mother in law lamb meat when I ordered chicken. She gave lamb to my husband while he actually ordered lamb! What a mess exchange!

Raka got a bottle of baby food for 6 month old and his response to the first scoop and the next ones was a firm NO. So, he started to eat the lamb, bread, fruit, salad, chips, yoghurt.......anything that he considered was nice to eat.
Rara met her school friend, Brian.
My mother in law did not like the food. She could not eat any food that was not familiar for her and lamb is definitely not her regular food! She is a chinese women who of course like chinese food and seafood. Nothingelse. Period. :)

During the flight, Rara was busy with movies on board. She was happy because she is a movie mania, just like her mother. On the other hand, to keep Raka busy, I and Raka took pictures with the stewardesses at the back of the plane. They are, as many other stewardesses in the whole world were very friendly and try to amuse Raka so he would not afraid with them.

geokid says:
Ari, congrats for your blog being featured!!!! I hope you have a great week!!!
Posted on: Apr 19, 2009
The whole village accompanied us t…
The whole village accompanied us …
Meal on board.
Meal on board.
On the way to our gate.
On the way to our gate.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
The pretty stewardess.
The pretty stewardess.
Grandpa and granddaughter.
Grandpa and granddaughter.
Raka tried to escape from taking…
Raka tried to "escape" from takin…
Jakarta