1st day in Hong Kong

Hong Kong Travel Blog

The view from the plane

It's been a month since I returned from Hong Kong & every time I want to write up this Travelogue of my Hong Kong trip, I get distracted or just get too busy with other miscellaneous stuff. However, today is my off day & I'm going to spend writing this Hong Kong travelogue just for you folks.

I made my Hong Kong booking last year 22nd July 2008 as it was really cheap. Can you imagine it costs less than US$150 for a Hong Kong trip. I know I had to wait till March 09 for this trip but at least I had secured a "vacation" trip somewhere. I know Hong Kong was a British colony but I expected most of the locals there to speak Cantonese. So, for the trip, I invited my Chinese friend, Yuan Feng, along as I'd had real communication problems without him.

The tag team of me & Feng

On 14th March 2009, I was supposed to meet "Feng" at Changi Airport Terminal 1 at 2.30pm as our flight will be 3.45pm. When I was there, Feng was already telling me he didn't eat any meal & I had already warned him that he should eat before that as our budget flight doesn't provide free meals. Telling Feng to grab a meal, but somehow, he changed his mind & decided to eat a Pandan cake from a pastry shop. At 2.50pm, we rushed to get checked in when we saw that our flight states "LAST CALL". Luckily, there was a long queue at our flight area. Having checked in, got inside the plane, I was so happy that this is my 1st ever trip to Hong Kong.

When we touched down Hong Kong (Chep Lap Kok Airport) about almost 8pm, everybody rushed (as usual) to get out of the plane 1st. Both Feng & I managed to get out of the plane & gosh, it was damn cold outside. I didn't expect it was so cold...like a "climate culture shock" since Singapore was still warm. Luckily, I had my Superman jacket on & there was this weird smelly smell as i breathed the air. We took this bus which transported us to the nearby Airport. After getting our luggages, I looked at the time & almost 8.15pm. I told Feng, we need to reach our hotel located at Mong Kong area by 9pm as that's our check-in time.

After paying HK$300 for an Octopus card, we took the Airport express train which we stopped at 1 one of the stations & changed to another train until we reached Mongkok station. I have to say, the train systems there are called MTR & in Singapore it's called MRT. There's not much difference & the navigation map is easy to read too. Almost very similar to Singapore's MRT train map. We headed straight to our budget hotel called, Tatami Hampton Hotel nearby. Our room was at Level 2 & after entering the room, Feng & I was so stunned because the room was extremely small. But i know that hotel rooms in Hong Kong due to land size cost. I decided to unpack my bag & so did Feng. While unpacking, Feng stopped & told me, "Haniff, I think i took the wrong bag" & I laughed. He started to panic & I told him to call up Jetstar to locate his bag. After successfully calling Jetstar, he was informed that his bag was still at the airport & he needed to reached there by 11pm.

Feng became more paranoid as the time was 9.45pm & insisted on taking a cab. I told him not to be nuts as the taxi pricing isn't as cheap in Singapore. So we took the train back to Shung Tsung & during that train travel, I couldn't stop laughing, snapped his sad face & his "wrongly-taken" luggage. Soon, we reached Jardine Aviation Services & we headed upstairs to claim Feng's luggage. The owner of the "wrongly-taken" luggage must be cursing who took his luggage. Lol.

I got hungry by then, & we ate at Burger King at the airport. I remember that we finished our meal about 11.30pm & we headed back to take a bus to Shung Tsung, followed by a train. At the train station, it was quite empty & at the platform area, I enquired on the train officer if there was any other train for the next transit area. (We had to take another train to get to Mongkok). He told us there's no other trains & we need to take a cab to Mongkok. Feng & I was quiet for a while. Within minutes, the same train officer came into the train & informed us there's a last train which we can take to Mongkok. I was relieved to hear that & by the time we reached our hotel room, it was almost to 1am.

I couldn't stop laughing about the luggage incident & this is just the 1st day. We went to rest after that as I had plans to go to many places the next day for this 6 days stay in Hong Kong. What a bummer day!