7 hour bus ride and the zoo

San Salvador Travel Blog

Arrived in El Salvador!

The next morning we get off to an early start, with the 7 hour bus ride to san Salvador, leaving 7am.  The bus is King Quality, which is a nice luxury coach- pillows and blankets, movie and A/C.  The boys have to pay, which means we get to have all our own seats, so it's a comfy ride.  The only stop we make is at the border crossing, where the immigration officer boards the bus to check passports.  They take a while checking out the boys'- looking at my papers showing custody.  Then we continue on to San Salvador.  Our cell phones (with the TIGO network) work when we cross over!  How exciting!  Decide not to share this information with my work, as I'm trying to escape- no computer, no telephone calls.

When we get in, we've arranged to meet two couples that i've met over the last few months that had stayed at the resort I work at.  We've kept in touch, and they offered to pick us up and take us around.  Keeping in mind the boys' energy release factor, we've planned a trip to the zoo.

The San salvador Zoo is a great spot!  Only $1 per person to get in, and it spans for blocks!  There's an elephant, cheetah, leopard, hippo, monkeys, snakes, bird area: the boys love it, and so do the rest of us.  I can't get over how cheap it is to get in.  Karla and David (our salvador friends) buy a toy for each of the boys, so they're thrilled.  Afterwards, we all head to a great restaurant that has a buffet with typical Salvadoran food.  Then we head to the mall for a bit- the boys play in the play area, and Johel and I make a quick grocery run to get ready to head to the beach house the following day.  From the mall, Karla and David drop us at a hotel they know, and we settle in for the night.  Tomorrow we make our way to our final destination- a beach house near el tamarindo, on the southern coast of El Salvador by the gulfo de fonseca.

San Salvador