The journey begins

Roatan Travel Blog

on the ferry

Our house swap should have taken place over a year ago, but my son got sick, and then I stepped on a nail, and the trip got postponed.  The couple still came, and the boys and I stayed in the apartment under our house while they had use of the house, so we got a raincheck to go to their place, which is a vacation rental.  Life got busy, and the trip kept getting pushed off, but finally we got it organized!  The boys get to skip school for the week, as it's a good time work-wise for me to get away.  We've been doing the countdown for weeks, so excited to explore a new country, and go to the house with the pool!

My friend Johel is coming along, so I'll have some company.  As soon as school's out, we get cleaned up and off to the ferry to begin our journey.  I have learned from experience that my boys are excellent travelers- whether it's hours on a bus or a plane, it all goes fairly well, but watch out when we arrive!  All that pent up energy comes out like a compressed spring once you let it go.

on the ferry
  As I'm aware of the craziness on arrival, I've planned for some energy-releasing stops at the end of each leg of travel.

From the ferry ride (1 1/2 hours), we catch a taxi right to the bus stop, and get on board for the ride to San Pedro Sula (3 1/2 hours).  We get in just as it's getting night, and make the decision to go directly to pizza Hut with playland, backpacks and all- no stopping at a hotel first.  Good decision!  The boys have begun to vibrate energy, so off they go on the climber and indoor soccer area while Johel and I have a seat and order some food.  I get them in their pjs before we leave the restaurant, so that they can go straight into bed as soon as we get checked into a hotel.

Roatan