Obituaries in the Big Smoke
Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog› entry 10 of 13 › view all entries
We left Semporna for KL this evening via Tawau airport. It is sad this marks the end of our adventure and the reality of work awaits.
We’ll miss Semporna somewhat but it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. We like:
- the fact that it is small and friendly (you may need to speak Malay).
- its proximity to most dive sites (45 mins to 1 hour) and you save on having to stay at expensive resorts where you are held captive to their exorbitant meals and diving packages.
- Not being able to go hungry around here ... plenty of Malay, Indian and Chinese food around. Fresh seafood is available and we’ve been told the quality is great (naturally it is fresh). There’s also street vendors for yummy homemade snacks.
On the other hand:
- It is rather undeveloped and litter abounds. Even if you dispose your litter into a bin, it may make its way to the street or the sea.
- The water in Semporna itself is foul with sewage going into the sea ... that’s the reality of traditional (over-)water villages.
KL will be in stark contrast to Semporna. We will stay two nighs at Tune Hotel (yes, base rates from a few cents plus add-ons for air-con) at the Airport and bus to the city for shopping and eating ... even though there is plenty of good food at the airport. Actually, we booked three nights as it meant we would have a late check-out for our night flight ... it is cheap enough to do that!
The photo here is a snippet Seems quite funny doesn't it? Until someone play a joke on you.