Family Reunion

Ashland Travel Blog

Aunt Ellen and 3 more generations of her family

August 27, 2006

I had several goals for this trip. One, I wanted to interview my two remaining Aunts, Dad’s sisters. Dad was the youngest of nine children, and all that were left were the two youngest girls, both now in their late 70s. They, along with their husbands, were the last depositories of information on Dad’s early years. When they were gone, it was gone forever. Also, my research had uncovered a Civil War soldier in my lineage. My Aunt Ellen went to church with a man who knew where he was buried. I wanted to document that, in words and pictures. Finally, with respect to family, I wanted to gather as many photographs as I could talk my Aunts into lending me, so they could be included in the book.

With those goals, my laptop, and camera I boarded an American Airlines plane (ticket paid with frequent flyer miles) and flew into Cincinnati.

Aunt Ann and two generations
This was the nearest airport that American could get me to Ashland, KY. I flew in on Saturday (26th) and picked up my rental car. It was a pleasant and uneventful drive to Ashland. When I got there, late afternoon, I was greeted with many hugs and handshakes. We spent the rest of the day and evening visiting. I would sometimes ask specific questions. Other times I would just let my Aunts and Uncles reminisce, while I took notes. Most of what they gave me ended up in “The Book”.

Each time one of Colorado Kretzers would come to town was an occasion for a family reunion. Not that it happened that often. I think 1994, 2003, and now 2006 covered the last two decades. So we all gathered at Armco Park (named for and probably built) by the local steel company.

Aunt Opal on the swing
I had met or become reacquainted with everyone who attended, as I was just here three years ago. But it was great to see them all again. I talked and visited with everyone and ate too much. My cousin Charlene gave me a bunch of pictures, all of which ended in The Book. Perhaps the most amusing part of the whole thing was my Aunt Opal (wife of my Dad’s brother, Jimmy), who at age 80 climbed into the chain swings with her grandchildren and had a turn. I hope that I’m as spy at that age as she is.

After a few hours most everyone headed home. Aunt Ellen, Uncle Tom, Aunt Ann, Uncle Bill and I all headed back to Aunt Ellen’s house. This we would do each night I was in town. Then I would visit and ask questions until I thought I was wearing them out. They would have stayed up all night, but there was no way I was going to impose like that. Tomorrow, Monday morning I would meet 79 year old Carl Keyes, who would show me where my Civil War grandfather was buried.

huibdos says:
Sounds like days well spent:)
Posted on: Dec 02, 2009
Aunt Ellen and 3 more generations …
Aunt Ellen and 3 more generations…
Ashland