Kathmandu Travel Blog

We made it back to Delhi on the evil ovenight bus (managing to catch the England Penalties at a stop!) then headed off that day to Nepal. We cheated this time by flying!

`What to do it Kathmandu?` well, it turns out we paid 30 pounds for 5 nights in the best hotel in town and we got a free 3 day safari included! (worth 120 dollars).  We headed off to Chitwan National Parl the next day and stayed in a jungle lodge.  We went on an elephant trek and managed to get really close to a family of Rhino! The next day we were up at 4am for a jeep safari (we saw lots of deer, more rhino and crocodiles), then we had a 3 hour Ox cart ride ( a little excessive!).  In the evening we had a fantastic cultural show where we saw all the local traditional dancing...I even joined in! When we headed back to kathmandu it felt like we had been here for a week, not 36 hours!

We had one day in Kathmandu before our overnight flight home so we booked a mountain flight over Everest, which was unfortunately cancelled when we were at the airport after getting up at silly o'clock to get there.  We went back to the hotel for a nap before getting a cyclo to Buddahnath.  It was great! we were given a tour by a monk who also gave us a blessing...and then asked for 1000 roupees for some new trainers!! what about the street children?! not very buddist I dont think.  we dashed back to Thamel and blitzed the shops for another hour, so much so that we were late for our taxi to the airport.  We checked in late, with excess luggage and Carl couldnt find his ticket but we finally made it on the plane.  I hadnt told my mum all the details (flight number, time or aiport) to pick us up so she ended up ringing Qatar (our stop over) to find where we were! she was waiting in arrivals for us though and we made it home safe.

photo by: sharonburgher