It just keeps getting better all the time!

Florence Travel Blog

Ponte Vecchio

I made it to Florence yesterday and I love it here. Now, this is not my first time in this city. My sister and I visited for a day about four years ago during a stopover on the way to Germany. However, it was a Monday so we could not get into any museums. I managed to catch sight of the David while standing by a door of the museum, but only saw from the waist down - not bad.  Anyway, so now I am making up for that disappointment.

First off, my hostel is way nicer. I am sharing a room with one other gal and we have our own bathroom, which is nice.  The gal is a violinist from Washington who teaches out of her house and opted out of the  orchestra route for many reasons, so I have been grilling her about that since my sister Jen and I get season tix to our orchestra at home.

Cathedral di Santa Maria Del Fiore - the Duomo
  Anyway, I finally met another traveler again, and will have a dinner companion tonight!

Yesterday I went to see how long of a line to get into the Accademia to see David once and for all, and it was long! I pondered what to do thinking I could wait and get reservations, but as I was standing there on a street next to the museum, some folks emerged from a side door of the museum and there he was, this time a view of him from top to toe! OK, so it's not the same, but I hear that's really the only thing to see in there, so I've decided at this point that I am only meant to see the Statue of David from the outside(plus saves me 10 euro).

After that I checked out a special exhibit featuring Cezanne, along with some Van Gosh, Matisse and others featured during the 1910 Worlds Fair.

View from Piazza Michelangelo
  Wasn't worth it.  Then I crossed the Ponte Vecchio, which apparently was built as a safe crossing for the Medici family who wanted to avoid possible attacks (overheard today) although now it is home to gold mania, and then I trekked up to the Michelangelo Piazza, that is the current site of a huge portable stadium, which sits right where the good views of the city are...bummer.  Good thing I saw the full view last time.  I did finally buy some new sunglasses off someone after much bargaining - I'd broken mine in Naples

Today I waited in line 2 1/2 hours to get into the Uffizi.  Due to the number of galleries that were closed, my wait was longer than my visit, but I saw Botticelli's Birth of Venus and Spring, works by Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael and Rembrandt, among others, but no stolen photos.

Another view of the City
  After that I sat in the piazza nearby and enjoyed some music courtesy of a street performer.  Unlike Ireland and even England, none of the museums are free, so I am trying to be choosy about where to visit.

Having said that, I've decided to pay what is to me an obscene amount of money for a day tour tomorrow of Tuscany, which will bring me to Siena, San Gimignano, Chianti and Pisa, but it includes lunch, guides and such.  I figure, if I tried to hit all those on my own, I'd spend more.

Each place I hit in Italy seems better than the last!  Florence is a great city, although it seems the tourists outnumber the actual residents right now.  The police are really friendly- they actual stroll the streets with the people and give directions.  The views are fantastic from various parts of town.  I am definitely glad I found time to return.

Ponte Vecchio
Cathedral di Santa Maria Del Fiore…
Cathedral di Santa Maria Del Fior…
Florence