The girl who sleeps too much

Cartagena Travel Blog

I love the colors!

My roomies gave me this nickname because I actually went to sleep at 9 p.m. my first night here.  Geez!  I told them I just got here after a 24 hour bus ride.  No excuse apparently.  People don´t sleep here, not at night anyway.  After landing here and joining a few guys from my room for dinner, I laid down for a nap with the others.  They all got up about 11 p.m. to head to the clubs, but I just couldn´t do it with no sleep the night before.  So that´s how I earned my nickname.

Last night I was determined to turn that around, so I told them I´d join them for a night out, even though I was really more interested in another good night´s sleep.  We didn´t even leave the hostel until about midnight!  Then we got to the club and it took an hour outside negotiating with the doormen (luckily many at the hostel are fluent) and we finally got in for about five bucks, getting two beers to boot.

An impromptu parade in the streets of the old town in Cartagena
  The place was a hot, stuffy, sweaty frenzy of dancing.  We grabbed our beers and headed upstairs, and somehow the doorman tagged along with us.  I´d find out why later.  I was ready to leave right away as it was like dancing in a sauna, but I finally gave in and sweated along with the others.  A Latina was actually really nice to me, too! I found out I´m not the only one that gets the cold shoulder from them.  At some point the doorman begged me to salsa with him, so I relented.  I was having considerable difficulty mimicking his moves.  I ended up basically stomping around, scratching like a chicken in a barnyard.  It wasn´t pretty I tell ya (sorry, no fotos of this one)!  He handed me over to some younger guys to give it a go and that generated many laughs.
Young drummer boys
  The one finally just did a simple side to side step with me.

They sure know how to dance here.  The ladies dress quite provocatively, too, and so are their moves.  There is a serious muffin-top problem here though that they should put out a PSA about, but overall the way the women dress is very different from my previous destinations.  I stick to my scruffy traveler´s clothes but still generate enough attention. I finally had enough and was going to make my way back the five blocks to the hostel alone as no one else was ready to leave, but the doorman followed me out.  He ended up buying me a snack on the street where we sat for a chat.  We had a nice conversation at first, with him asking about my trip and whatnot.

A doorknocker in the old town
  Then he asked me with all seriousness if I liked oral sex.  I couldn´t help but laugh thinking someone told him that´s what the ladies like to hear, but he knew what it meant for sure.  I didn´t know quite how to tell him in Espanol you don´t talk to women like that, but I couldn´t figure out how to conjugate hablar (to speak) properly and anything else for that matter.  He got the message though and apologized, walking me back with no hassle.

I collapsed into bed, with loud salsa music booming from the place next door, getting to slumber about 5 a.m.  Now how can they say I sleep too much?

Cartagena has been nice.  I like the vibe here and I´m finally getting more relaxed with the language and interacting with the locals.  I´m reading to move on already, though, so I´m taking another overnight bus to Medellin where it is cooler and I guess one of the nicest cities in South America, according to one source.  We´ll see.

I love the colors!
An impromptu parade in the streets…
An impromptu parade in the street…
Cartagena