AfricaEgyptCairo

The comma is back!

Cairo Travel Blog

I made it to Cairo!!!  I cannot believe it - really.  I just arrived about three hours ago and so far I just managed to survive the cab ride here, check into my hotel and shower.  This place is crazy.  No one drives in any certain lane and folks are honking at each other and almost colliding.  I do believe it is more chaotic than normal because I arrived right at sundown and the driver said everyone was anxious to get home and eat.  Ramadan will end I believe by the end of this week.

I already met a new Egyptian friend on the plane ride.  He changed seats and sat down next to me showing me pictures of Alexandria where he was born and insisting he knew Dr. Hawass like real well.  He seemed very popular with the flight attendants who kept flirting with him and followed me around when we hit the airport but I had a ride waiting luckily.  Unfortunately it was super hazy when I arrived so I did not get to see much of the city.  My friend Margaret arrives at about 1 a.m. and I doubt we'll get much sleep as we haven't seen each other in four months.  I am super pumped to be here and excited to get out there and see this place.  It's been a dream destination of mine forever.  As we were arriving I was thinking back to second grade when our librarian returned from a safari in Kenya and as a child Africa seemed so far away and inaccessible.  Well, here I am at the start of my next adventure and I cannot wait.

Thinking back on the last few weeks, I really enjoyed Turkey despite the rough start.  My time outside of Istanbul was wonderful, the Turkish are very friendly and helpful and the scenery and history of Turkey is mesmerizing.  But I am happy to be here, especially because they have commas on their keyboards.  Yay!  OK, there are many other reasons but the keyboard is back to normal.  I just have to retrain myself to hit the "I" in the usual place rather than off to the right.

Stay tuned...

nicoleah says:
I'm very jealous
Posted on: Nov 15, 2007
Johnb42 says:
Hurray for the comma heehee..........glad your excited about being in Egypt and hope you and Margaret have a super super fun time!!!
Posted on: Oct 08, 2007