Yo-Ho-Ho and a Bottle of Rum

Zanzibar Travel Blog

Nungwi Beach

That sums up the last few days here on the island of Zanzibar.  We literally worked our way through a bottle of Jamaican rum while lazing in the shade reading books.  We headed up to Nungwi (northern beach area) after a few nights in Stone Town.  Our hotel looked right out onto the ocean and you merely had to stumble a few steps to find a perfect spot for the day.  We swam in the Indian ocean and watched the dhows come in and out.  We also have had the best seafood here.  A night market pops up each  night at a park in Stone Town and you merely point out the lobster or octopus you want and they cook it up for you right on the spot.

At the night fish market.
  We sampled barracuda, calamari, prawns, and muscles as well. If you don't dig seafood, they also know how to do chicken real well in this part of the world.

Unfortunately we must head back to the mainland this afternoon as my travel companion returns home tomorrow on an early flight out of Dar.  It has been quite the adventure the last few weeks, but for me, many adventures await.  My first objective will be to find a way to Victoria Falls, Zambia side.  The train I planned to take apparently breaks down a lot, and by bus it will be about five different buses and many opportunities to get mugged (as told by one traveler who suffered through two muggings on the way), so I may try to fly to Livingstone.  No matter what I will need to hang in Dar long enough to get new passport pages and an Indian visa.  I hear there are good beaches south of the city, so I just may need to find another bottle of rum to pass the time :)

Zanzibar