Who's got the code?

Donegal Travel Blog

View of Donegal from my B&B window.

So much for enjoying a room all to myself.  The TV didn't work and my room was like a sauna since it was on the fourth floor, attic really.  I made sure to grab my breakfast in the morning, which included two smiley face donuts, but I am so used to hostels that I walked down into the kitchen expecting to retrieve it myself.  They promptly shooed me out into the dining area.  Afterward I gathered my stuff and headed to the hostel outside of town, with the Canadians in tow as expected.  The hostel keepers weren't quite ready for new arrivals, so I promptly headed out on what ended up being a four hour, 10 mile trek in search of another castle.  It was under renovation so I didn't see much.  Linda, the hostel keeper, instructed me to grab any rides on the way that were offered, but all I got were folks stopping for directions, and one sped off after I indicated they were heading the right way and that I was headed there as well.

Hmm...

After that, I got back and hit the shower and got to know my new hostel-mates.  One gal was from WA traveling around Ireland herself.  She was at the tail end of her trip and loving it.  I swapped out my book for yet another crime drama (is that all anyone reads?) and sat and read outside for a while.  It stays light out til about 11-11:30 p.m. here, which is so odd to me.  Eventually the Canadians (self-proclaimed, non-racist Skinheads) decided they wanted to head to the pub since they didn't get out the night before due to one in their party sustaining a concussion (story later revealed they were actually sober at the time of the incident).  So two in their party, plus me and the gal from WA headed in search of drink.

We found out that if you drink at a hotel, they just keep the drinks rolling until your're done, which in our case was around 2:30.  We weren't the last to leave thankfully.  However, upon returning to the hostel, we realized no one was given the code to the door.  We eventually hoisted the little Canadian, all 5'3" of him, up to a second floor window and then were in bed by 3 a.m.  Note to self:  make sure you get the code.  It was a fun night and some interesting conversation despite the 10+ year age gap between me and, well, everyone else.

Donegal