Where is the city?

Edinburgh Travel Blog

Edinburgh Castle

I arrived in Edinburgh yesterday and the entire city was caped in a dense fog.  I could kind of see buildings, but where was this castle everyone told me about?

I ended up wandering aimlessly for the most part all day.  I am sort of museumed-out at the moment, and I also had a good hang over from my last night in Stirling.  I ended up meeting some locals at a pub and we hit up another club til late.  Then I got back to the hostel and noticed I had a voicemail from my mother asking me to call her.  Oh, no.  It was 3 a.m. my time but still only about 9 p.m. at home, so I called and chatted with my mom and some sisters.

View of the city
  The bad news is one of my uncles is not doing so well, but the good part was hearing my mother and sisters' voices.

Anyway, so Edinburgh...it was too late in the day to check out the castle, so I walked up and down the Royal Mile, jumped into the Scotland Museum for a bit to read up on the Jacobites and other historical events that make Scotland what it is today.  Eventually the fog lifted and there it was - Edinburgh Castle, huge and high up, overlooking the city.  Snapped some photos.  This is a city none like any I've seen!

Then I grabbed some dinner at the Potato Shop, recommended to me by a few people.  Very delicious and a huge amount of food for the price.

I spent the evening stressing about the next few weeks.  I realized I needed to get a game plan going soon, and more importantly, book my hostel in London.

View down the Royal Mile
  I plan to arrive there late Monday by bus, which is cheaper but hours longer than the train.  I've also decided to head to Italy from there, which I fly out Thursday a.m.  So that gives me two full days in London, which should be plenty.  Now I'm in the process of securing hostels while in Italy, as I plan to spend about four nights each in Naples, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre and Venice.

But in the meantime, I should really try to enjoy Edinburgh while I'm here, so off to see this Castle.  I've been waiting out the rain, but it's not looking like it intends to be done anytime soon.  I hope tomorrow's weather will be better as I've booked a day long trip to Loch Ness/the Highlands/Glencoe.

dannydickman says:
You know, I had just the best time in Edinburgh, even though I didn´t see the castle. When in Naples, make sure you day trip out to Pompei, and if you can, jet over to Amalfi and maybe Positano for some REALLY cool places and views. ´That´s gonna be my highlight when I get there later. Also, keep us (me) updates on Italy, I´ll be there in a couple of weeks!
Posted on: Jun 25, 2007
Monument
Monument
Millenium Clock inside Scotland Mu…
Millenium Clock inside Scotland M…
Edinburgh