EuropeItalyRome

Rome was definitely not built in a day

Rome Travel Blog

Coloseum

I spent the day navigating my way around Rome's ancient city, which they are still excavating.  This included checking out the Colloseum.  The description of the types of activities that took place there was quite gruesome!  Lots of bodies getting torn apart for everyone else's amusement.  After Pompei, though, looking at ruins was not that exciting.  I refused to shell out for a guide or audio tour, so I really had no idea what anything was, save for the few times I managed to overhear others' guides.

After that I wandered around the streets of Rome.  Around each corner is something new and interesting to check out.  And when I say corner, I mean it.  The streets here are laid out pretty wacky, so you can't really walk in a straight line to go anywhere.  Something might just be two streets over, but there is no direct path to get there.

I'm feeling a little out of place in my hostel.  Seriously.  No other travelers are here.  Kind of a bummer, but what to do at this point.  Only two more nights and I'm off to Florence.  Well, I'm gonna go to bed early as right now all I can hear is someone slurping up their dinner and it's driving me crazy!

chrisrae says:
No harassment yet, but I'm a master at making no eye contact and walking with speed and deliberation.
Posted on: Jul 03, 2007
bretaye says:
I remember Rome being one big ruin after another. Overwhelming. I remember that and the men that wouldn't leave us alone. Getting followed yet? Whatever you do in Florence, DON'T take an on/off bus tour. Ha. And maybe this time you will get to see all of the David!!
Posted on: Jul 03, 2007
kcusa76 says:
If youre going to venice, i'd love to hear about it...as well as where you're staying. we'll be at the hotel canal there in mid-august, but it's closer to the NW side of the island.
Posted on: Jul 02, 2007
Coloseum
View of Ancient City with Coloseum…
View of Ancient City with Coloseu…
Trevi Fountain