Pompei!

Pompeii Travel Blog

Mt. Vesuvius over ruins below

So I arrived in Naples on Thursday after a very long day of travel from London.  From the airport it was a quick bus ride to the central train station, which is near my hostel.  I definitely was out of my comfort zone in a big way for the first time!  And Naples is really the armpit of Italy as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I followed the directions to the hostel from the website, which took you way around out of your way even though it was a straight shot down from a center square.  I thought I better stick to their directions because there may be a reason.  I learned while in Barcelona that sometimes the direct way will take you through bad parts of town!  As it turns out, my hostel is right on a street where a big market pops up out of nowhere daily, thus I think they steer you clear of it.

Cast of victim
  Naples is very dirty, graffiti everywhere, not very pretty.

At the hostel I was lectured right away about carrying my valuables and money due to pick pockets.  All of a sudden I felt afraid to go anywhere.  I thought to myself, I'll just stay in for the night for sure.  As it turned out, two gals where in my room and we hit it off, so the three of us set out for food.  I had my first pizza in Napoli!  Yum.

Day one I grabbed a train to Pompeii.  I had studied about the Vesuvius eruption in 79 A.D. while taking Latin in 9th-10th grade, and even back then I thought I would like to go there someday.  So it was pretty damn exciting to actually be there, walking around and down the streets where people once lived.

Very eery.

They had shops, homes, rec centers, including a colliseum for gladiator battles!  You could see Mt.  Vesuvius staring down on the town.  I loved it.  It was very warm (finally, the sun!) but I walked around for about four hours and then headed back to Napoli.

My roommate and I ended up meeting a group of guys from all different places, Washington, Illinois and Australia.  We all decided to find a bar, which is not anywhere near our hostel, so we ended up pretty far away.  I think we pushed the hospitality of our hostel owners last night.  Oops...

So today I'm just chilling at the hostel.  I tried in vain to find a laundry place with one of the guys, but it was closed, so now the three of us who are still in Naples are just pondering a nap before we all head off to Rome tomorrow!

fawkes66 says:
This is great. Ever since reading Plinius I want to go here. Your pics are wonderful!
Posted on: Jul 02, 2008
CanadianBorn says:
I agree tis place was very eery interesting. It was such an unbelievable site to see human bodies frozen in time like that. One of the places I always wanted to see. I was amazing to see how advanced the civilization was that long ago.
Posted on: Jun 03, 2008
nicoleah says:
Did you find the casts of the family? They're along the road with all the tombs. Such an incredible place!
Posted on: Nov 15, 2007