No Missed Opportunities

Windhoek Travel Blog

WV and Mark at the Lake

My dilemna about getting around this country has been solved for the most part.  I met this guy from West Virginia in my dorm who also wanted to rent a car, so we agreed to rent one together to check out some more remote parts of Namibia.  That night we went out to dinner and did some bar hopping, and when we decided to get back to the hostel, we were trying to hail a cab.  This guy pulled up in a VW van - a local who's German - who thought we were hitchhiking and asked if we wanted a lift.  He took us to this bar called the London, filled with folks from you know where.  I wasn't digging that too much (I keep feeling I'm not in Africa anymore), so he took us to another place with some salsa-type music, and then eventually he drove us up to a high point in the city to look down at the lights and to the lightening off in the distance.

Our overland transport
  It was a spectacular evening.  It is just one of those nights where you just go with the flow, see where it takes you, and you end up having the most wonderful time.

Yesterday he picked us up in this cool 1975 truck and took us to a secluded lake to swim.  He is quite the fella.  He's a total bushman who's traveled the world and has some interesting outlooks on life - very philosophical.  We had so much fun, we begged him to travel with us.  He's a massuese and had lined up clients this week, but agreed to cancel some appointments and drive us around for a week, camping and seeing parts of Namibia most tourists do not get to or know about.  So Wednesday the three of us (plus his dog) will take off for who knows where and hope we don't break down.  It will be an adventure to be sure.  Traveling without a schedule or a plan gives you the ability to encounter opportunities and take them when you can.  You never know where you'll end up or who you will meet.  So off I go to take this once in a lifetime opportunity to see the real Namibia.

chrisrae says:
Well, I will say I am waaaay overbudget at this point. I am down to about 7 grand, which seems like a lot, but considering I want to get to Asia, Australia and South America yet, hardly enough. After I leave South Africa, I am heading to India for a month, I think. I hear it is rough travel there, so who knows how long I'll stick around. From India off to Thailand and Cambodia. I may hit Laos and Vietnam while I'm in there area as well. So those are the places in Asia I'm planning to visit. As far as sick of travel...nope, not at all. There are tough times, mostly having to say goodbye to people I meet on the road, and I do miss home here and there, but I'm so happy to be traveling. As far as meeting men, I've met plenty! There are some fine looking men on this planet to be sure. Games? Well, I haven't tried any out on this trip. When I was in Mongolia last year I played this game with sheep bones. But if I come across something, I'll let you know. Still looking for that bra :)
Posted on: Dec 14, 2007
Jensclass says:
How much money have you spent? Where are you going after South Africa? Did you ever find your bra? Are you going to Asia and where in Asia will you go? Are you getting sick of traveling yet? Have you met any hot guys? Have you learned any cool games from any of the other cultures?
Posted on: Dec 07, 2007
bretaye says:
Geez the scenery there is nice. And Africa looks pretty fine too...
Posted on: Dec 06, 2007