Goodbyes are hard...

Galway Travel Blog

So I finally bid farewell to the folks at Mainister House and got on the noon ferry.  It was tough and I know I'll have to say a lot of good byes along the way, but if I plan to get to Dublin next Friday, I knew I had to get moving.  Some other long term guests finally left with me this a.m.  Anyway, after a quick bus ride after arriving on the mainland, I'm in Galway.  It's a bigger city, a college town really.  Lots of people busily walking here and there and not much to do but shop and drink at the local pubs.  Last night we ran into some young lads from here and they were carrying on about this place.
Clever incorporation of a 13th-century medieval wall into the architecture of a mall.
..well, they were completely wasted as well which could count for some of the carrying on for sure, but I can see why they would like it here.  Perhaps I would enjoy it here more with company.

The hostel I am in is much larger than the last.  I'm actually in an 8-bed dorm with three stinky French men, two W. Virginians (haven't seen 'em yet so hopefully they smell better) and some other mystery guests I'll see later tonight I suppose.  It's crazy because I live in a city yet after staying in two dreamy small towns, I can't stand all the traffic and activity.  Tomorrow I'm catching a bus out of here and hopefully somewhere smaller and in a smaller hostel.  I think that's the way to go based on my last experience.

Today I attempted to stroll using the walking tour from my guidebook (admitted map-aholic) but there are rarely street signs, so I abandoned that approach and made my way around along a pier, up to a Cathedral where Msgr. O'Flaherty was awaiting confessions today (I had nothing weighing on my conscience ;) ) and then hung at a park reading a book.  A young Irish lad plunked right down beside me to see what I was reading. I think it was a dare as his friends snickered as they looked on.

So this area is famous for Claddagh rings (apparently the birthplace) and Connemara marble that only comes from this area.  Other than that, like I said, a college town.  I think a lot of folks from here hop over to the islands on days trips, including a group of freshly graduated med students who checked in at Mainister the day before I left.  They caused a stir with the staff due to their group size, but it turned out they were quiet after all.

Tonight I'm gonna hang low and get some laundry done.  Hopefully my roommates don't snore and won't come crashing in late...that might be too much to ask.
mielikki says:
I bet it is tough to go back to a city after all of the peace & solitude of a small town. (why I don't want to move back to the metro area! too much noise and aimless "busy-ness"!)
Posted on: Jun 08, 2007
bretaye says:
You made it out of Inishmore! Way to go! I know goodbyes are hard and the first day in a new place is lonely but you will meet some more people in no time. Happy Trails! Missin' ya!
Posted on: Jun 07, 2007
Clever incorporation of a 13th-cen…
Clever incorporation of a 13th-ce…
photo by: AleksandraEa