A German, a Canadian, an American and an Englishman walk into a Turkish bath...

Budapest Travel Blog

Inside Gellert
Yesterday I finally hit up a real Turkish bathhouse.  A group of us went to the Gellert, which is a fancy hotel right on the river.  As was the case the last time I went to a bathhouse, I really had no idea what I was doing.  We were basically being shuffled here and there and told what to do.  The place was a maze of massage areas, mud baths, pools and then the thermal baths.

The four of us met up in the thermal bath area.  We first got in the 36 degree Celcius pool, which you should hang in for about 20 minutes.  Then you move over to the 38 degee one.  You'd think two degrees is not much, but in Celcius it is!  Very warm.  After 10 minutes there off to the steam room.  Now that place was rough.  You opened the door and you couldn't see a thing.
At the Clock Pub
  I could barely breath the air was so hot.  There was like a mintiness to it.  Someone motioned for us to sit on the floor as it was easier to deal with.  After only about 2 minutes, I hightailed it out of there.  Then off to the 8 degree (very cold) pool, thus we completed the cycle.

After that we headed off to an outdoor pool, even though it was raining, and lounged there.  We remarked about how rough a life we were living at the moment, all this lounging.  We did one more cycle in the thermal paths and hit up another pool inside, and we were literally in there floating for an hour!  Our skin could take no more, so we left to walk back to the hostel.  We got the bright idea to pub crawl our way back, which we did.  We hit up this really cute bar called the Clock Pub.  Lots of different clocks and watches in there.  Then a few stops more and we got back to the hostel for yet another toga party.

After all that excitement yesterday, I was super lazy today. I stayed inside and watched movies all day, although given the rainy day, it was perfect.  I plan to stay in Budapest now til Sunday, taking a day tour of Eger on Saturday with the German gal, and then off to Transylvania finally!
Budapest