AfricaEgyptCairo

Farewell Pharaohs

Cairo Travel Blog

Farewell dinner

We capped off our time in Dahab with some more swimming and snorkeling and a farewell dinner with Bob.  Our flight out today meant time to part ways.  Dahab was a really fun place.  It is pretty small, so you get to know people quickly.  In fact, the owner of one of the bars gave us a free ride up to the bus station last night.  We also met two gals from the Czech Republic, one of which is studying Arabic in Cairo, and they both were on our bus.  They invited us to come to their flat and leave our bags for the day so we can check out the rest of the Egyptian Museum before heading to the airport tonight.

Lucie, Christina & Bob
  Unfortunately Margaret and I are two walking zombies today.  The overnight bus here was a series of checkpoint interruptions once again.  At about 4 a.m. we had to get off the bus and unload our bags so that they could scan those with some device.  There have been some pretty recent attacks on tourists in Egypt, including at Sharm El-Sheikh and the Temple of Hatshepsut, so I understand the need for all the security but it makes for little sleep.  Plus the bus driver kept putting on really loud and old Jackie Chan flicks.

We arrived in Cairo pretty early so had tea at the girls' place before hitting the museum again.  It was very crowded there so luckily we hit many of the highlights our previous visit.  This time around we saw the Narmer Palette and some of the Old and New Kingdom stuff.

Fancy seafood feast
  Since we had visited many of the places these items came from, it was fun to check those out, but my lack of sleep took hold and we left to grab coffee.  Now we are killing time in Cairo while I stress about visa requirements in Tanzania (I have no legitimate proof of onward travel) and kick myself for forgetting the LP guide to Tanzania on the bus.  Argh!  We leave at 10 p.m. tonight and arrive in Nairobi about 4 a.m., grab a shuttle to Arusha at 7 a.m. and then arrive there about noon where I will be scrambling to get ready for our Mt. Kilimanjaro climb. I can't believe it is here already.  I feel totally unprepared, but I am excited just the same.  First things first though, we should get at least one good night's sleep before we start our ascent on Monday.

b_dieffenbach says:
Love your blog. Stay safe and have fun in Africa. Bob
Posted on: Oct 21, 2007
Fancy seafood feast
Turn left at Clay Aiken and youll…
Turn left at Clay Aiken and you'l…
Last look at the Egyptian Museum