Chasing Mozart

Prague Travel Blog

Estates Theatre at night

Yesterday we set out for the Old Jewish Cemetery, which has been recommended to me by a few, but we got lost on the way as there are a few Jewish cemeteries here.  By the time we got there, I was soaked from the heat and then found out you had to pay the equivalent of 15 bucks to get in.  So much for that.  We did finally hit the Mucha Museum, which is a famous Czech artist whose works can be seen all over Prague and Paris - art noveau stuff.

The main event yesterday was Mozart's opera Don Giovanni at the Estates Theatre, the place in which he debuted it!  That was very exciting for sure and my first opera, aside from the guy I saw at the Minnesota Orchestra.  I was sitting in the second row from the front with Jen and we both had to keep from bursting out laughing because he looked like he was trying to take a dump.

Rob and I inside the Estates Theatre under a bust of Mozart
  Anyway, back to Mozart.  I'm not sure if they filmed Amadeus in this actual theatre, but if you've seen the movie, there is a scene in there with him conducting this opera.  Luckily I brought along my binoculars b/c we ended up in the nosebleed section, which was still a hefty price.  It was worth it though for sure!

We also checked out the Mozart Museum today, which is housed in a once farm now house in the burbs, and it supposedly the place Mozart finished writing Don Giovanni.  There was a lock of his hair in one exhibit, and the rest of it is basically Prague boosting about liking Mozart first and highlighting how much Mozart liked himself.  So after that, enough of Mozart I think.  At least I avoided him in Vienna.

There is an outdoor film fest going on here on one of the islands on the river, so we plan to check that out tonight, again, since I'm missing Brits/Loring flicks this summer.  At least the evenings here are comfortable as far as temps!

Estates Theatre at night
Rob and I inside the Estates Theat…
Rob and I inside the Estates Thea…
Inside theater
Inside theater
Our cheap seats in the balcony
Our "cheap" seats in the balcony
Museum of Communism poster