Bald Rock National Park

Tenterfield Travel Blog

I have hiked through countless national parks in Australia, but my trip to Bald Rock was much more than I expected.  I had actually never heard about it before and had to travel to the country town of Tenterfield for work.  As soon as I checked into my little 'so close to the highway that the rumbling trucks going past the window rattle the windows' hotel, the manager shoved some brochures into my hand of all the local landmarks and attractions.  I didn't have any plans to do any sightseeing but found myself with a day to spare, so decided to have a look through the small amount of information of things to 'see and do' around Tenterfield.
  Pretty soon I was tying up the laces on my walking shoes and headed off to discover Bald Rock National Park.  The signposts need some definite upgrading as you would certainly miss it if you didn't know it was there, but it's only a 30 minute drive out of Tenterfield.  There were only 3 other cars in the entrance car park.  The walk quickly unfolded itself and I was instantly captivated by the beauty of the bushland and scenery.  The climb to the top of Bald Rock took about 90 minutes on an easy grade.  Magestic rock formations and towering gum trees lined the track.  The view from the top was the big surprise.  Sweeping views as far as the eye could see in every direction.  We sat on top of Bald Rock enjoying our sandwiches and apples for almost an hour before reluctantly heading down the range.  It really is one of Australia's best kept secrets.  I have since encouraged all my walking friends to make a weekend trip back to Bald Rock.  It is just magnificient.