Yes, this too has curry!

New Delhi Travel Blog

I think you all know by now about my little fascination with McDonald's in other countries.  I bloged about a particular one when I was in Dubai because it was worth mentioning.  Well, McDonald's in India is worth mentioning too.

I do realize that my Hindu host may not appreciate McDonald's but I was determined to find one.  They are too few and far between that finding one would have been a gold mine.  Well, on a round trip out of Delhi to Agra I passed by two: one on the way to Agra and one on the way back to Delhi.  I made my driver stopped so that I can have a taste of McDonald's in this part of the world.

I was very much interested in what creative ways McDonalds was going to sell its products to a non-cow eating majority.  well, was I in for a shock! not so much from the menu but how it was creatively marketed.  Take a look at the menu below:

I had the Maharaja Chicken Burger.  I didnt know what would really be in it.  I know that there will be chicken but knew nothing of what else there could be.  Well, it was presented like a Big Mac.  How does that song go: Two beef patties, cheese, lettuce, pickles, tomato, special sauce on two soft buns...or something to that effect.  Well, this was two chicken patties, lettuce, tomato, onions, and CURRY between two soft buns.  There is actually a soft bun in the middle as well, just like a Big Mac.

Chicken Maharaja Mac
  I thought I finally found a way to get to a familiar taste and avoid at least one meal where there was no curry or not spicy.  Not that I minded those, just once I was hoping this would be different.  Well, I guess it is in a way.  You will probobly never find another McDonalds that has no meat in its menu.  The only non-vegetarian meal were the chicken sandwich and 2 types of chicken wraps.  Everything else was vegetarian.  Even the fries tasted different.  A vegetarian will have a field day at this McDonalds.  It would meet all their requirements.  Even the non-vegetarian meals have its own warmer so not to touch the vegetarian selections.  Of course, no McDonalds meal overseas would  be complete without Orange Fanta.

So, if you ever find yourself in India.  Look for a McDonalds and have yourself the Maharaja Chiken or any of their vegetarian burgers.  You may want to try the Vegetarian Surprise.  I couldn't bring myself to find the surprise so I had the chicken.

KeikoCreative says:
If u have the opportunity, try the Mac breakfast in Singapore, oh I just love the breakfast:P
Posted on: Aug 23, 2009
KeikoCreative says:
Give me a high 5, me too a Fanta orange lover:P Oh talking about Mac, I had an unforgettable meal in NZ long ago:P The bread is warm and soft and the meat is crispy, oo-la-la:P
Posted on: Aug 23, 2009