White Island, Camiguin

Philippines Travel Blog

I met a burn accident when I was in Camiguin for a holiday in year 2007.  But I didn’t allow the burn to completely ruin my holiday though.

Early in the morning, from Caves Dive resort, Shaun, my son & I boarded a motorized banca         going to the White Island.

The white island is actually a sandbar about 2 kms off the shore.  They say it is best to go there either early in the morning or late afternoon.  During high tides, this sandbar shrinks substantially.

We ordered breakfast from the resort to take with us to the White Island.  The island has no vegetation, no trees and no structures at all.  When we get there, I saw a few vendors selling softdrinks and food to eat which are mostly grilled fish.  For a P50 fee, u can also rent a big umbrella with chairs to provide you shelter from the raging hot sun.

We should have stayed in the island until 9am only but the beauty and the sound of splashing waves captivated me as always….so we ended up staying there until 3pm when most of the tourists were already starting to leave as well.  I wanted to stay longer but well I didn’t want to drown with the sandbar when the tide is high.  I can’t swim!  It’s funny to think that I always love the beaches but I still don’t know how to swim