Dubrovnik, City of beauty and history

Dubrovnik Travel Blog

17th century Croatian writer, Ivan Gundulic, wrote

O, beautiful liberty, dear and sweet,
Thou heavenly gift where riches all meet,
Actual source of our glory of these hours,
The sole adornment of this of ours,
All silver, all gold, and our lives so dear,
Cannot recompense thy beauty so clear

He was predicting the downfall of the Great Turkish empire and Croatia's freedom.  These verses welcome visitors through the main gates of the city's stone walls.

One of the world's most famous writers and playwrights George Bernard Shaw said  "If you want to see heaven on earth, come to Dubrovnik."   I have to agree.

When I think of Dubrovnik the words "quaint, old-world, and European" all come to mind.

Lazy Days
  Dubrovnik was easily the most beautiful, and scenic town in Europe that I have had the pleasure to visit.  The people of Dubrovnik were wonderfully friendly, the cuisine was great, and the just strolling through Dubrovnik's small, hilly streets and alleys I was able to imagine being in a different time.

In 2000 when I was there, there was evidence of the war and the siege that had been laid upon this wonderful town not 10 years before.  But there was also evidence that most had gotten past it, and repairs were underway.  I believe most of the repairs have been completed now.

The town square , plazas, the churches, and cliffside cafe's all oozed that old-world charm that makes Dubrovnik one of the most memorable places I have ever visited.  And Also one of the few that I have absolutely promised myself that I will return to.