Campeche Travel Blog

I wrap up San Cristobal and take my final overnight bus ride of the trip into Campeche to hit up Calakmul.  This leg will be a whirlwind trip of Mayan ruins which should push the Beaches Vs Mayan Ruins scoreboard in favor of the ruins.  I spend two and a half days at Monkey Hostel which is ideally located in the city center -- directly across from the Plaza Principal and Catedral de Nuestra Senora de la Purisma Concepcion.  While both Lonely Planet and TripAdvisor noted the single rooms could be oppressively hot, resulting in most windows open and providing mosquitoes with safe passage to their sweating hosts.  I, as Bush Jr. would say, misunderestimated my impending  misery.

As it turns out, most single/double rooms face the street with a nice windowed balcony facilitating air circulation, while one room has no window (but a private bath indstead) and another had a small window facing the rooftop courtyard which was walled-in on all but one side.  I got stuck with the latter.  The single/double rooms are a separate unit whose floorplan, for some reason, did not promote air circulation.  At night, as things cooled down, the singles/doubles unit basically radiated the heat accumulated in the walls during the day back inside the rooms.  This made my room hotter than the night air outside.  To seek relief, I put my face in front of my window, which had bars in them, creating an effect as if I were in jail, with my arms outstretched through the bars in disbelief that the outside air could possibly be cooler than my cell with a ceiling fan.  Did I mention my lower legs and ankles were virtually eaten alive by mosquitoes despite a
healthy dose of DEET?  Or, maybe it was prickly heat developing between the sections of my sweating  skin that was fused to the bedsheets covering the mattress that doubled as a hot rock.  I swear from now on, unless I'm on the beach, I will not spare the expense of AC wherever possible.
photo by: Biedjee