Calakmul

Calakmul Travel Blog

A local tour operator arranges car transport for me and a German couple to Calakmul and Balamku.  I thought the 6:15 a.m. pick-up for Palenque was tough until I'm told I need to be ready at 6 a.m. for the drive to Calakmul.   At least in this case I get to escape the stifling hotbox at the Monkey Hostel.

Calakmul is the most deserted ruins I've visited so far.   This offered excellent photographic opportunities and also allowed a leisurely pace, if, however, accompanied by a creepy Blair Witch Project vibe being in the middle of a forest or jungle viewing imposing archeological monuments
built by inhabitants which guidebooks always conclude with the passage "no one knows why the site was abandoned by its creators".

During the entire expedition we encounter a total of 6 other visitors the entire day.  Calakmu is situated in a rainforest where three of its pyramids rise impressively above the treeline which obscures the pyramid's large base and leads you to underestimate the distance between them -- what seems like a good mile away is no less than a few hundred yards.

Calakmul